Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Supporting Kingwood Center


My guy mailed in my renewal Kingwood Membership this week.  I set up my membership to expire in December so I can get an early Christmas present from him.  I like to joke that I supported Kingwood before they started laminating the membership cards.  Last year when I was showing my card to John M. at the gate, he said if I was really really good, they would give me a laminated card.  Well, I guess I will know when I get my card in the mail.  I had a Friend membership last year, which Kingwood renamed a Dual. So, I went ahead and added my guys name to the card so we could keep one in the truck and I don't have to remember about grabbing the one I keep in the jeep.  I also have a volunteer card, which allows me in Kingwood Center.  So it is official.  I have as many cards to get in Kingwood Center as I do credit cards.

Chuck G. put a note on my membership renewal letter.  It said "What an amazing year of volunteering you've had"!  And yes, I have had an amazing year of volunteering.  I was allowed to help with so many interesting things at Kingwood this year, from sorting tulips bulbs to washing Ohio Brass China in Mr. King's kitchen. I have had the opportunity to work with most of the staff on one project or another.  They all taught me so many things and allowed me to feel as if I had made a difference. (even if I had never done the task before and needed quite a bit of instruction and overseeing)  I also have worked with amazing volunteers there as well and developed good friendships. Some of my social gatherings have been scheduled as a volunteer task at Kingwood.  So yes, I do agree with Chuck, it was an amazing year of volunteering but I'm not sure who benefited more.  Kingwood Center or myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Volunteer, member, frequent visitor and photographer of Kingwood Center.