Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Crows at Kingwood on YouTube


To forewarn this is my first and hopefully last sarcastic blog.  Let's hope anyway.  Well, Kingwood is celebrating the crows at Kingwood.  They are roosting in the trees, so it is fitting of a YouTube video.  Last week and for my past three visits on other projects, I have only seen two ducks.  I know the wild ones have left and I haven't had the heart to ask about the others as I may not want to know.  The other Indian Runners could be safe in back of the Service Building and my despair could be premature.  I guess we should celebrate all types of birds, however, I hope a sign of the times isn't Kingwood becoming known for their crows and Canadian Geese. 

I took this off the internet.....
A group of crows is called a flock, muster or storytelling of crows. The most widely used term is "murder."

This is based on the (fallacious) folk tale that crows form tribunals to judge and punish the bad behavior of a member of the flock. If the verdict goes against the defendant, that bird is killed (murdered) by the flock. The basis in fact is probably that occasionally crows will kill a dying crow who doesn't belong in their territory or much more commonly feed on carcasses of dead crows. Also, both crows and ravens are associated with battlefields, medieval hospitals, execution sites and cemeteries (because they scavenged on human remains). In England, a tombstone is sometimes called a ravenstone.

I chase them out of my back yard by clanging a pot and spoon.  But if you want to check them out at Kingwood - the link is below.

Kingwood Crows on YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Volunteer, member, frequent visitor and photographer of Kingwood Center.