Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Here Lives The Lorax



This tree chair conjures up many childhood images. Located between the peony garden and the back duck pond, Shawn McClain created a great throne from a fallen tree.  Then he added a foot rest.  In the winter, I like to think a Snow King lives close to here and holds court with the wildlife.  Shown here, he would have a red cardinal as a court jester waiting in the wings.  I have seen lots of other wildlife come to see if the King is holding court as well, such as squirrels and rabbits.

One day I went to sit on the great throne and found the the center to be hollow.  Could this be another way into the mystical world of Alice?  I was never interested in that much adventure.

Also brings to mind my favorite Dr. Seuss book The Lorax. Kingwood may not have any Truffula trees, but they do have a nice variety and maybe the Lorax comes now and then to visit and make sure all is well.  As you know, he speaks for the trees.  The chipmunks seen coming and going from this hollow seat are probably taking him messages.  I have yet to see the Snow King, Alice or The Lorax, but there is always the possibility.




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Volunteer, member, frequent visitor and photographer of Kingwood Center.