Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Narcissus / Daffodils in the Peony Garden

What are the names of these daffodils you ask?  Well, a project I have been working on with Charles Applegate is identifying and mapping the daffodils in the Peony Garden.  It's been a fun task, and a work in progress as now that I have collected the data, I have to match it to pictures and plot it on the maps.  Below are a few basics I have learned along the way and for a more detailed account of daffodils - watch Charles Applegate on Plant Talk by clicking on this link: Kingwood Center Plant Talk 4/28

 
Daffodil Identification: 
The American Daffodil Society divides all Narcissus into 13 horticultural divisions, based partly upon flower form and partly upon genetic background.  For color coding the daffodil is divided into two regions, the perianth (petals) and corona (cup).  For example, a Division 5 Yellow-Yellow and is displayed as:   5 Y-Y.  Charles Applegate suggested I get the book Daffodils to Show and Grow, so I asked my friend Lynn H to check it out of the Kingwood library for me.  She volunteers in the library.  Well, more to follow as I learn about Daffodils.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Volunteer, member, frequent visitor and photographer of Kingwood Center.