Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Day I SAVED a Duck and the day I almost didn't




Volunteering at Kingwood getting ready for the Spring Flower Festival, Lisa Duckworth and I were back in the service building area putting sand in baggies. (to hold papers on the tables the next day).  A guy brought in two white peeking ducks in a tub to donating to Kingwood.  Later that afternoon, I was watching them in the pond thinking they didn't look so well.  They were thrashing and splashing in the water.  But I wasn't sure and thought it was a possibility they were getting use to a new pond.  The next day I found out that the poor ducks didn't know how to get out of the pond and were found that morning exhausted, trying to keep afloat.  There is a secrete duck exit, but I guess they failed to figure it out.  I felt terrible that I didn't say something the day before.

So flash forward to the day I saw this peeking duck and I knew to act.  He wasn't thrashing the in the same way as last time, but the strange way its back tail feathers were up was my clue.  He seemed to just go around the side of the pond keeping its webbed feet against the slight concrete ledge.  Well, I went to the greenhouse and asked for one of the security guards to check on him.  I don't have a picture of the security guard pulling him out with a net, or the blood on his tiny webbed feet.  But the rescue mission was a success.  And I am happy to report that since his recovery he has been living happily on the pond with a wooden walking plank to safely get him in and out of the pond!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Volunteer, member, frequent visitor and photographer of Kingwood Center.